NUTRITION GUIDELINES MOUNTAIN MARATHON
Get ready for race day and start to plan and adapt your nutrition and hydration at least one week before the race.
Arduua has developed some general guidelines for nutrition and hydration to be followed one week before a Mountain Marathon, Trail or Skyrace 35 – 65 km, (4 – 8 hours).
WEEK of competition:
- Objective: Make a good preload of carbohydrates and hydration to arrive in the best conditions on the day of the event.
- Preload of carbohydrates for events that will last more than 90 minutes: It is recommended to ingest between 7 and 12 grams per kg of weight during the 24/48 hours before the competition, depending on your experience.
BEFORE the competition: (Breakfast or lunch 3 hours before the competition):
- Objective: Maintain adequate hydration levels and optimal muscle glycogen levels. The color of your urine can be a good indicator of your hydration status
- 2-4 grams of carbohydrate per kg of weight + 0.3 grams of protein per kg of weight (Ex / 1 piece of fruit + 120 gr of bread or cereals + jam or honey + yogurt)
- 300 ml of isotonic drink in sips until the start of the test.
- Caffeine can be a good supplement and stimulant taken in a controlled way and if you already have a proven your tolerance.
DURING the competition:
- Objective: To take care of the glycogen deposits so that they do not become completely empty during the test, and to promote muscle recovery with a food or drink that, in addition to HC, contains BCAAS proteins.
- Between 50-70 grams / hour of carbohydrates are recommended depending on the speed and weight of the athlete.
- It is recommended every 3-4 hours to take something salty and a bar containing BCAA’s or protein foods.
- Regarding fundamental hydration, take care of the water intake with an adequate amount of sodium (salts / electrolytes) and / or combine with a sports drink.
AFTER the competition:
- Objective: Optimize muscle recovery and refill muscle and liver glycogen. We need to eat high-quality carbohydrates and protein. Rehydration with water and electrolytes will be essential.
- 1 grams of carbohydrate per kg of weight + 0.4 grams of protein per kg of weight
- During the next 3 hours post competition it is recommended to consume 30 grams of high quality protein type Whey (example in recovery shake) as well as fast absorption carbohydrates such as honey, fruits …
Fernando Armisén, Arduua Headcoach