NUTRITION GUIDELINES ULTRA-TRAIL RACE
Get ready for race day and start to plan and adapt your nutrition and hydration at least one week before the race.
This upcoming weekend Tomas Amneskog will run a 90 km trail-race in Sweden called Ultravasan (the same route as the famous cross country skiing race “Vasaloppet”).
Arduua has in cooperation with Tomas developed some general guidelines for nutrition and hydration to be followed one week before an Ultra-trail or Ultra Skyrace (> 8 hours.).
WEEK of competition:
- Objective: Make a good preload of carbohydrates and hydration to arrive in the best conditions on the day of the event.
- Preload of carbohydrates for long events: It is recommended to ingest between 7 and 12 grams per kg of weight during the 48 hours before the competition, depending on your experience.
BEFORE the competition: (Breakfast or lunch 2-3 hours before the competition)
- Objective: Maintain adequate hydration levels and optimal muscle glycogen levels. The color of your urine can be a good indicator of your hydration status
- 2-4 grams of carbohydrate per kg of weight + 0.3 grams of protein per kg of weight (Ex / 1 piece of fruit + 120 gr of bread or cereals + jam or honey + yogurt)
DURING the competition: Long Trails
- Objective: To take care of the glycogen deposits so that they do not become completely empty during the test, and to promote muscle recovery with a food or drink that, in addition to HC, contains BCAAS proteins.
- Between 60-90 grams / hour of carbohydrates are recommended depending on the speed, weight of the athlete and the tolerance to the assimilation of carbohydrates that has been trained.
- It is recommended to alternate foods with different flavors (sweet, salty, …) and with different types of carbohydrates for better assimilation (glucose, fructose, …)
- It is recommended to mix real foods with other sports such as energy bars and gels.
- It is recommended every 3-4 hours to take something salty and a bar containing BCAA’s or protein foods.
- Regarding fundamental hydration, take care of the water intake with an adequate amount of sodium (salts / electrolytes) and / or combine with a sports drink.
- Caffeine can be a good supplement and stimulant taken in a controlled way and if you already have a proven your tolerance for some “special” parts of the race.
AFTER the competition:
- Objective: Optimize muscle recovery and refill muscle and liver glycogen. We need to eat high-quality carbohydrates and protein. Rehydration with water and electrolytes will be essential.
- 1 grams of carbohydrate per kg of weight + 0.4 grams of protein per kg of weight
- During the next 3 hours post competition it is recommended to consume 30 grams of high quality protein type Whey (example in recovery shake) as well as fast absorption carbohydrates such as honey, fruits …
/Fernando Armisén, Arduua Head Coach