NUTRITION GUIDELINES SHORT TRAIL RACE
Get ready for race day and start to plan and adapt your nutrition and hydration at least one week before the race.
Arduua has developed some general guidelines for nutrition and hydration to be followed one week before a Trail or Skyrace 12-20-35 km (90 – 120 min).
WEEK of competition:
- Objective: Make a good preload of carbohydrates and hydration to arrive in the best conditions on the day of the event.
- Preload of carbohydrates for events that will last more than 90 minutes: It is recommended to ingest between 7 and 10 grams per kg of weight during the 24 hours before the test, depending on your experience.
BEFORE the competition: (Breakfast or lunch 3 hours before the competition)
- Objective: Maintain adequate hydration levels and optimal muscle glycogen levels. The color of your urine can be a good indicator of your hydration status
- 2-4 grams of carbohydrate per kg of weight + 0.3 grams of protein per kg of weight (Ex / 1 piece of fruit + 120 gr of bread or cereals + jam or honey + yogurt)
- 300 ml of isotonic drink in sips until the start of the test.
- Caffeine can be a good supplement and stimulant taken in a controlled way and if you already have a proven your tolerance.
DURING the competition: Short Trail 12-20 km
- Objective: Take care of the glycogen stores so that they do not become completely empty during the competition.
- Fast absorbing energy gels and sports drink. Between 30-50 grams / hour of carbohydrates are recommended depending on the speed and weight of the athlete.
- Regarding hydration, give priority to the sports drink, although it can be combined with sips of water by adding a suitable amount of salts, mainly sodium.
AFTER the competition:
- Objective: Optimize muscle recovery and refill muscle and liver glycogen. We need to eat high-quality carbohydrates and protein. Rehydration with water and electrolytes will be essential.
- 1 grams of carbohydrate per kg of weight + 0.4 grams of protein per kg of weight
- The best timing is during the next half hour in an approximate ratio of 2: 1 (CH / protein)
/Fernando Armisén, Arduua Head Coach