How we train
We want to support you to reach your goals, to outperform yourself and to have your best day every time you race.
All of our training plans are tailored to each individual, making them unique to you. Your coach builds your plan based on your goals, upcoming races, personal and work commitments and running history.
Your training plan and support will be built on the following key elements:
- Physical training (running sessions, strength, balance, mobility and stretch),
- Skills for skyrunning (Focus on vertical meters, technical skills for up-hill, down hill etc, specific strength training, plyometric work, reactions, balance, mental strength)
- Running technique (for maximum efficiency and endurance)
- Non-physical factors (race management, motivation, nutrition, kit).
Individualized For You
To ensure we build the best training plan for you we must get an in-depth knowledge of you, your running history and your physical condition. This will include your medical and any injury history, your time availability, training tools and places available for you to train. We do this through a series of conversations, questionnaires and tests. The tests involve physical stress tests, running analysis and initial tests for mobility, strength, stability and balance.
Using the information gathered through our Arduua Tests for Skyrunning as part of the Build Your Plan phase, we will be able to determine your base fitness level to create a training plan that is 100% tailored for you.
How We do it
The training is online based and as tools we use the Trainingpeaks platform, your training watch and an external pulse band. You keep contact with your coach through the Trainingpeaks platform and video meetings.
Your coach will plan all your trainings for you in the Trainingpeaks platform, and once you have synchronized your training-watch to Trainingpeaks all your running sessions will automatically be downloaded to your training-watch.
Duration vs Distance
All of our training plans are built on the length of time per training session, not on the distance you need to run. This makes your plan specific for you and where you are in your training journey (for example, one runner may run 8km in 1 hour while another may run 12km, all in the same pulse zone).
20:80 Polarized Method
To run long distances, you need to be able to run in a very low pulse zone to conserve energy, so our training is based on polarized training, heart-rate running and a focus on duration vs distance.
This is a very effective training methodology that we use with many of our runners in order to build endurance, especially in pre-season. 20% of your running training will be at your maximal capacity (pulse zone 5), 80% will be very easy (pulse zones 1-2).
Heart-rate based trainings
All running sessions are based on time spent and heart rate, and in this way the training will be 100 % individualized for you, and you should always be able to reach the goal with each training session.
Real time running coaching via training-watch
Your training-watch will guide you through each running session.
For example.) Your coach has planned a running session for you with pace changes. You start the training-watch, and the training-watch says 15 min warm-up in zone 1-2, go. If your pulse exceeds zone 2 your training watch tells you to slow down. Then time for pace changes. The training-watch tells you to run 60 sec in zone 5, if you have not reached zone 5 your watch tells you to speed up. Then the program goes on like that…
After the running session you put comments in Trainingpeaks how it went and felt. Thereafter your coach will analyse your trainings and answer your comments.
Strength, mobility and stretch
We have a large biblioteque of different types of trainings for different types of needs, and we usually use video as a tool. If you have a specific problem or injury, we have Physical therapist skills, and we will be able to deliver that specific prehab video for you.
Planning and follow-up
Based on previous period of trainings your coach will plan the next periods of trainings for you. We will always adapt a little bit according to how you are moving forward, and how you are feeling.
Yearly Plan & Periodization
To ensure that you are in your very best shape on race day, your coach will monitor your training in Trainingpeaks and adjust your plan accordingly, this may be with more intense training sessions, more easy runs or managing your tapering ahead of your race.
We factor the races you want to run in to your training plan breaking them down into A races, B races and C races.
- A Races: Main races where we will ensure you are in peak condition and ready to outperform yourself.
- B Races: Races similar to the A in terms of distance, height gain, terrain etc. where you will test strategies, kit, pace etc. to use in your A races.
- C Races: Races that will not modify our planning and we will integrate them into your training plan.
General Training Phase, Base Period (1-3 months)
- General improvement of physical condition.
- Work on Weaknesses (In mobility and strength).
- Body composition adaptions/improvements (training and nutrition).
- General base strength.
- Training of foot ankle structures.
General Training Phase, Specific Period (1-3 months)
- Training of thresholds (aerobic/anaerobic).
- Training of VO2 max.
- Adapt training volyme to goals and athlete history.
- Max strength lower body, CORE, and running specifics.
Competitive Phase, Pre-Competitive (4-6 weeks)
- Training competition intensity and pacing.
- Training other competition details (terrain, nutrition, equipment).
- Holding strength levels and plyometrics.
Competitive Phase, Tapering + Competition (1-2 weeks)
- Adjust volume and intensity during tapering.
- Reach race day with peak of fitness, motivation, full energy, levels and wellness state.
- Nutrition guidelines, pre and during race.
Transition phase – Transition & Recovery
- Joints and muscle recovery.
- Recover regular functioning of body organs and cardiovascular system.
- Nutrition guidelines post race.
What You need
All you need is a training-watch compatible to the Trainingpeaks platform and an external pulse band.
All of our training programmes use Trainingpeaks which is an excellent, easy-to-use tool for planning, managing and analysing training, as well as communicating directly with your coach